- Infantile spasms:
- 50 mg/kg/day given in 2 divided doses
- Subsequent dosing can be titrated by 25-50 mg/kg/day increments every 3 days
- Maximum: 150 mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses
- Refractory complex partial seizures:
- Infantile Spasms: somnolence, bronchitis, ear infection, and otitis media acute
- Vigabatrin causes permanent bilateral concentric visual field constriction. Because assessing vision may be difficult in infants and children, the frequency and extent of vision loss is poorly characterized in these patients. For this reason, the risk described below is primarily based on the adult experience.
- Based upon adult studies, 30 percent or more of patients can be affected, ranging in severity from mild to severe, including tunnel vision to within 10 degrees of visual fixation, and can result in disability. In some cases, vigabatrin also can damage the central retina and may decrease visual acuity.
- The onset of vision loss from vigabatrin is unpredictable and can occur within weeks of starting a treatment or sooner, or at any time after starting treatment, even after months or years.
- Symptoms of vision loss from vigabatrin are unlikely to be recognized by patients or caregivers before vision loss is severe. Vision loss of milder severity, while often unrecognized by the patient or caregiver, can still adversely affect function.
JOLVIG, VIGANEXT, SABRIL
Why has the doctor asked me to get my vision tested? Can JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution affect vision?It is important to get your vision checked while taking JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution because it can lead to loss of vision. Your doctor may get your vision checked at the start of treatment, 4 weeks after starting treatment, then after every 3 months during the treatment, and 3-6 months after stopping the treatment.
My child has first prescribed SABRIL tablet but now it has been changed to the JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution(Sachet). Will this have a lessened effect?No, your doctor will adjust the dose of JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution based on your child’s body weight and age. This will have the same effect as the Sabril tablet.
Does JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution have psychiatric side effects? If yes, what are they?The common psychiatric side effects of JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution include agitation, aggression, nervousness, irritability, depression, thought disturbance and paranoia (feeling suspicious without reason), and sleeplessness. These side effects are usually reversible when the dose is reduced or gradually discontinued. Severe psychological disturbances (such as feeling elated or over-excited which causes unusual behavior and the person may feel detached from reality) are rare but may also occur.
What if someone accidentally swallows more than the recommended dose of JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution?If you take more than the recommended dose of JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution, you should immediately consult your doctor or go to a nearby hospital. Possible symptoms of overdose include drowsiness or loss/depressed level of consciousness.
For how long do I need to take JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution? Can I stop taking it if I am symptom-free?Your doctor will suggest to you the duration for which you need to take JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution. However, do not stop taking JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution on your own because stopping it may cause seizures to recur in a worse manner. Consult your doctor if you face any issues with JOLVIG Powder for Oral Solution.
Can JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution have any effect on memory or concentration?Yes, JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution may affect memory and concentration in some people. There may be other factors that may contribute to memory problems like depression, anxiety, sleep disturbance, and frequent seizures. Talk to your doctor if you have any of these.
What if I forget to take JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution?If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, just take one dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
How should I take JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution when I cross time zones? How should I carry my medicine when I travel? Will I get JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution abroad?It is important to take JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution at prescribed intervals. Plan ahead and ask your doctor to help you adjust to time zone changes. Carry JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution in its original packaging along with doctor’s prescription. JolVIG Powder for Oral Solution may be available abroad depending on your destination. But, it is advisable that you carry enough stock for yourself.
WHAT IS VIGABATRIN AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR:
Vigabatrin (VGB) is a recently-released antiepileptic drug that works by a clearly defined mechanism of action: inhibition of GABA transaminase leading to an elevation of brain GABA concentration. It has been proven effective, mainly as an add-on agent, in complex partial and secondarily generalized seizures in both adults and children as well as in infantile spasms in both short and long-term controlled studies. World-wide experience now includes over 150,000 patients exposed to the drug. VGB has a favorable pharmacokinetic profile since it has little protein-binding, is mainly excreted unchanged by the kidney, and has a long effective half-life allowing once or twice daily dosing.